A WORLD CLASS COMPREHENSIVE CENTRE
The Stone Centre at Vancouver General Hospital has an international reputation for its care, treatment, and research of kidney stone disease. In addition to leading edge technologies to treat kidney stones, we encompass stone prevention as a vital part of management of patients with kidney stones.
The Stone Centre consists of two physical entities:
1. The Acute Stone Centre at Vancouver General Hospital
- Offers treatment to patients with kidney stones.
- Stones may be “pulverized” with acoustic shockwaves using a machine to perform extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy (Shockwave lithotripsy)
- Percutaneous nephrolithotomy: extraction of stones through a small incision made through the back
- Ureteroscopy and laser lithotripsy: blasting the stone with a laser using a tiny endoscope up into the kidney from the natural urinary passageway.
2. The Stone Centre Research Laboratories are located at Jack Bell
- The Research Centre is located directly across the street from Vancouver General Hospital.
- The laboratory operates under the direction of Dr. Dirk Lange, PhD.